Here’s what we’ll be reading as we study through the book of Acts:
Chapters 1-12 (First Ten Years)
Major Emphasis: The Jerusalem Church
Major Topics Covered: Church, Gospel, Holy Spirit
Chapters 13-28 (Next 20 Years)
Major Emphasis: Churches Spread Throughout the world
Major Topics Covered: Missionary, Paul, Local Churches
First Ten Years:
- First Five Years: Pentecost, Healing, Preaching, Arrests, Ananias & Sapphira, Choosing leaders, Stephen martyred, Persecution begins, Scattering
- Second Five Years: Philip & the Ethiopian Eunuch, Saul is converted = Paul, Peter sees vision in a sheet, many Gentiles hear the good news, Jerusalem leaders accept that the Gospel is for the Gentiles, church established in Antioch, James martyred, Peter arrested & set free.
Next 20 Years:
Paul’s Three Missionary journeys and trip to Rome.
Countries Mentioned at Pentecost: Rome, Crete, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Pontus, Cappadocia, Mesopotamia, Parthian Empire, Media, Elam, Arabia, Egypt, Cyrene.
Why are these important? Because all these people from all these countries took the Gospel back home with them from the Day of Pentecost. Some of them believed in Jesus right then, some simply carried the story back home as a curiosity. in Acts we’re going to see the Lord reach those same people in the years that followed with help to form churches so the Gospel could continue to spread.
As you read and study this book, keep asking yourself these questions. By the end of our Acts study, maybe you’ll have a good idea of how God wants you to serve Him for the rest of your life :
- Is the church necessary?
- What does the church do?
- What does the Holy Spirit do?
- What is my part in the church as the Holy Spirit does His job?
- Do I have to do anything about the Holy Spirit?
- How can I obey the Great Commission?